Wednesday 14 July 2010

Part A


PART A : challenge within experience
To improve my photography skills

My challenge within experience (for my Arts Award Part A) was to improve my photography skills

I did this through: studio portraits, photoshop editing, my final Part D project and through advance from artists, cool photography books, discussions and training from my work supervisor Vicky (Photoshop, competition and using cameras)

The first thing I learnt was, how to frame a photo and to take into account the rules of composition - I have learnt that when taking photos of people’s faces that you should focus the camera on their eyes as this is a key feature and one of the first things you look at. Most photos are taking into account where in the photo the most important parts should be - this is called the rule of thirds - and so photographers avoid taking pictures of the main subject of the photograph in the centre (most of the time!) Then we did some studio portraits where I thought about composition and how I wanted to to use the frame a bit differently (like using people hands and chopping off some of their face :) The studio work was also spontaneous photography which is just taking photos at any random moment that you capture, so it's not staged. It's an instant free style image. However as a photographer, you have to be able to relax your models.

I'm interested in the context of how something is taken. I'm also interested in the work of 'Little People In The City' the street art of Slinkachu, who places tiny figurines in everyday urban situations, like stepping in chewing gum, mixed with extraordinary situations, such as being attacked and eaten by a giant bee. He takes an ordinary everyday occurrence to the extreme in miniature. This type of work became my Part D, where I really put everything I’d learnt about photography into practice! (see part D! or http://www.flickr.com/photos/site-education/sets/72157624934295883/show/ )
From looking at Slinkachu’s work and others through talks and the great books at Site, I’ve learnt that there can be so much to photography. It’s endless the ideas and how you can use it.

What I've learnt about photography...
Using narrative –
The way photos are taken to make us think something is happening, or the way it's been taken to make it seem like you're seeing through the eyes of the person witnessing it all. It tells a story, you're imagination helps picture it all.
Contextualising images –
where the photo is taken can ‘contextualise’ an image. A good example of remembering what context is is the work of Banksy. He makes street art and the context of where he makes the art is very important. Pictures of that art in urban locations add to this idea about context. His work in a gallery setting wouldn’t have as much impact as the context wouldn’t have to impact an more.
Rule of thirds – as above!
Focus – when you are nearer the thing you are taking a photo of (close up) the ‘depth of field’ – (what’s in focus) is very limited. This is why I had to take ages getting good photos for my part D!

No comments:

Post a Comment