Monday 19 July 2010

Day Five


Day Five in the Site Gallery Tower...
In the morning it was really relaxed as we were working independently for most of the day. Yesterday and today was better with the rest of the group as we were getting to know each other better and didn't necessarily feel as if we had a ton to do so we chatted more. THANK YOU GOD. For lunch I nipped out to town to get some stuff which is handy that the gallery is close to the centre of town and the train station.
Ben Moon, an artist who was assisting with the placement joined us in the afternoon to help us attempt a project like Darren Solomon’s ‘In B Flat – www.inflat.net, but as only Bethany, josh and billy could play an instrument - apart from Briony who can play the triangle ;) - we won’t sure what to do. Bethan had loads of ideas with just the objects out of her bag like rollers, the zip on her pencil case, pressing the keys on her phone, stuff like that.

I also prepared my questions for Emma, the owner of the old sweet shop- a shop which showcases local independent artists from a range of genres and provides an alternative to mass produced high street shopping. I don’t know what to expect, what she looks like, or even her last name. When we arrived, there were a wide range of different artists such as Kid Acne, Phlegm Comic, Craww, Plain Jane, Pixelwitch. And so many different pieces like picture comics, jewellery, t- shirt designs, photography books, even soap.
There was one peculiar pink sculptor of the body of the dog, with a human skull head. Attached to this skull were two ice cream cones for horns. Pretty amazing. It was like marmite - you either love it or you hate it. I personally loved it but I wouldn't have that in my bedroom! There was a smoky smell through out the shop - like a million incense sticks had been burnt. My interview with Emma went well, but all the interesting nick- nacks were distracting. But I seemed to do a pretty good job. I even bought a phlegm comic.....comic ! A good week so far, but I'm knackered! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment