Friday 23 July 2010

Day eight


WEDNESDAY - DAY 8

We were on the computers for 40 minutes before we set off on a mission. We had to take the cameras that Vicky had given us to take photos of 'hidden Sheffield’. Whatever we wanted that to mean.

We all met up in the peace gardens at 11:20 with Vicky and a Apprentice volunteer called Lucie (journalism student I think) to help out. We were then led through the cathedral cemetery to Bank street gallery - where we greeted by twelve very peculiar and different themed deer heads :S mounted on the walls..........now I know what you’re thinking......these weren't some random deer heads that just hobbled up to the door to say hello and welcome, I mean, they were beautiful and not so beautiful 'deer' heads. Made from everything you could possibly imagine. Even rubber gloves!

My favourites were the ones made completely out of seashells, one with taps for antlers and one decorated with rope and lace. One made of bits of wood and another made with a gorgeous turquoise material with a gold embroidery and dangling off the antlers were pieces of pretty thread with pieces of broidery and sequins. Some of them made me laugh to myself though.

After lunch we came back and went into a room full of taxidermied rabbits, foxes, ferrets and badges, and a video of the artist (Susanna Gent) doing taxidermy on a fox while she was swigging away on a can of lager. NICE. We all laughed a bit at how gross and how forward she was being regarding the dead fox, just flopping it about. But then she took off the foxes head using pliers........I think we all gagged a little then. She then decided to pass round one of the rabbits that had been a road kill, that was half flattened. I almost dropped it. I admired her for it though, I wouldn't have the guts (haha guts).

We then saw an artist who was using a projector to help him draw twelve favourite postcards pictures on to a wall. Very cool I thought. Then me, Josh and Bryony then went down to the riverside gallery with photographer Jacqui Bellamy a.k.a Pixelwitch herself to show us her 'Latrino Gals' work (women photographed in toilet cubicles!). I loved the staged one as they were neater and the lighting on them was better.

No comments:

Post a Comment