Friday 23 July 2010

Part B


For my Part B of the arts award I combined viewing the exhibition and artwork at ‘The Old Sweet Shop’ with an interview with the founder, Emma Toss (see part C and my interview here http://www.radiowaves.co.uk/story/151018/title/LucyRatcliffinterviewwithEmmaattheOldSweetShop)

Vicky wasn't messing when she said it was just a corner shop - it was tiny! But when we went in it was a bit of a tardis, jam packed and we were greeted by the fragrant smell of burnt incense sticks that hit my nose and a smiling Emma sat at a cluttered wooden table with a bell and a black sleek laptop. The place was filled with paintings, prints, tiny treasures and nic-nacs. I wanted them all! While Vicky and Emma had a chat, I set about enjoying the show and taking pictures with the great Site Gallery camera. There was everything from big pieces of artwork hung up on the wall to tiny little canvases, handmade jewellery, tiny wooden draws and clocks, handmade cards, pots, cushions, soft toys, table cloths, notebooks, t-shirts, bags and even soap. The first thing that caught my eye was the neon pink sculpture of a human skeleton on a neon pink dogs body, with two ice cream cones for horns - the most talked about thing in the shop apparently. I can see why :)

I specifically chose this gallery as it wasn't just an exhibition. It sold the artwork that came in and has changing exhibitions. Emma also brought up the subject of money and how you should find out some knowledge of how much a gallery would charge an artist for exhibiting their work or you could be tricked into paying more than you should be. It also just wasn't based around one local artist, or one type of artwork - there was such a wide range and that made the store so interesting. Phlegm Comic, Kid Acne, Craww, Plain Jane, Faunographic, Pixelwitch and so many more artists and photographers work was displayed around the shop. Phlegm Comic's picture books are amazing and it was nice that I could actually buy what was being exhibited! I bought issue 8.

This was one of the most enjoyable exhibits I’ve ever been too. It was really relaxed in the shop and I felt I could enjoy the work at my own pace. It also made me feel really proud and inspired by Sheffield’s creative talent. I didn’t know these type of shop and gallery mixed places exist and I think there should be more of them! I loved the atmosphere as it was cosy and there wasn't a blank part of surface in the store. It had no main theme so it would appeal to a wide range of people, and the lighting gave the store a warmer, relaxed atmosphere and so the photos I took were lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment