Friday 23 July 2010

Part D


Final project: http://www.flickr.com/photos/site-education/sets/72157624934295883/show/

Plan: My own project involves taking small train figure models of people and place them around Sheffield, imitating real life situations mixed with scenarios which might happen between tiny people in a giants world. To lead a project that involves the whole group I will ask my group for ideas to try out with the models I have. Also to help choose final photos.

I got inspiration from a picture book called 'Little people in the city' by Slinkachu, where he takes figurines and places then around London in their own little narratives. Slinkachu’s work is classed as ‘street art’ and he uses super glue to get his little people to stand up. Looks like tricky work!

These little people and their scenes could represent human interests and just typical life, mimicking us. I’ll build my photography skills with this project too. As the people are so small, it can be difficult to get them into focus. I have to think about composition too. I will try and do my shots when the weather is nice but so far for 'July', the weather has been rubbish. I’s the better the light, the easier it will be to take photos and get the images in good focus.

Doing my project:
I had Emily Foster - Site Young Apprentice Scheme volunteer - and Josh, assist me The first time I went out. They suggested ideas and what angle to get them at. I became what Vicky calls a ‘creative opportunist’ with the builders outside :) I made a fantastic photo next to them with my builder figurines with their tiny jack hammers, shovels and a bright blue porta-loo .

After evaluating my photos for the first time I went out I thought about how I could improve them. I looked at cropping, backgrounds and composition and could see how I could have improved them by moving a bit to the left or right and changing my focus. Getting these types of photos is incredibly hard as there’s so much to consider. Not only that, people stare at you when you sit down in the street and point your camera at what could be ants!

My next plan was to go out again but this time with Vicky guiding and assisting me. She really helped me spend the time to get better shots. I also added little cards as little signs to some of my pictures to experiment with something a bit different. It turned into a really good idea and added a new ‘surrealness’ to some of the imaginary narratives.

I think this project has been a great idea and I’m really pleased with what I’ve done. I had to think on my feet (or whilst lay on the floor!) and think carefully about getting the best shot. Sheffield’s great scenery is art in itself so that combined with the little people and then the signs, really got me to be very creative. I love the humour of it too - that deep inside us all we feel tiny and vulnerable and ant-like in a big city.

No comments:

Post a Comment